Potato virus X
PVX = Potato Virus X
Causative agent and transmission
The virus X causes mosaic-type symptoms on potatoes.
Transmission of virus X to the plant occurs :
- mainly mechanically, through contact between the plants subjected to friction (wind, machines, humans, animals, etc). In practice, most contamination occurs mechanically due to the passage of machinery.
- to a letter degree, by insects when they attack the plant.
Description of symptoms on crops
(clic on photos to enlarge)
It is not easy to distinguish symptoms that are due to contamination during the current year; clear expression only occurs when infection takes place in the previous year : the appearance of mosaics is limited by the veins, without deformation of the foliage, apart from some exceptions, and is latent in a large number of cases.
The symptoms can be seen more easily during the plant's active growth phase and in weak sunlight.
- Use of healthy seed potatoes resulting from genealogical selection;
- Limit passage of machinery among the young material (pre-basic);
- Production in a favourable environment;
- Roguing of virus-infected plants.